Saturday, July 3, 2010

Arrivederci Roma!

Rome is a huge mix of stuff. There are ancient ruins all over the city, high fashion shopping, sketchy looking people and places, and soooo much gelato. Its crazy that the original forum that Julius Caesar used is still here, or the Colosseum, where Gladiator happened in real life! The sistine chapel wasn't as large as I thought it'd be, but the paintings were more than I imagined. The walls were covered with beautiful, huge, colorful art. Every inch of the ceiling was painted. So crazy! Too bad no pictures :( I snapped a few quick, blurry ones anyways though. And Saint Peter's basilica was filled with statues of popes and paintings! Rome was all about the over the top, ornate decorations and marble everywere! Which, for your information, is mighty slippery in flip flops. I have a bruised elbow to prove it. And I didn't make it to the Pope. I got here too late :( The Vatican has its own Swiss guards, that wear the most awesome uniforms. Round berets with a button in the middle and tilted to the side, poofy pants, pilgrim like shoes, and all of it is like red, yellow, orange, and blue striped, and they hold a spear.

I don't know what it is about Europe, but over here its quite normal to stare, especially in Italy. And if you make eye contact, they don't look away, they just keep staring. I've gotten my fair share of cat calls and hollers, which gets old quick. And there are lots of Asians here and they own stores that have the most random stuff in them including, but mot limited to, cheap jewelry, socks, hardware, fly swatters, and parasols.
My hostel happens to be surrounded by them. And European kings and emperors loved stealing obelisks from Egypt. Every major piazza has an obelisk for a centerpiece, or a fountain.

Rome swarms with tour groups. Everywhere. You'll just be standing reading something, or what not, and then, all of a sudden you're surrounded by a tour and in the spotlight next to the leader holding an umbrella or a stick above their head.

I can't wait to see ECLIPSE!! Argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment