Thursday, June 10, 2010

Goodbye, Paris. Hello, Brussels! Almost...

Paris has been beautiful. My favorite was probably the sparkling eiffel tower at night, which we could see from our hostel room window.
The crepes were delicious, but started making a dent in our budget so I became an official crepe maker in the hostel kitchen. Amy's Creperie due to open July 2010. Last night we decided to do the Paris pub crawl to see the night life this city had to offer. Bad, bad idea. Well, loads of fun minus the creepy 40 year old french man that was kissing my hand and face and telling me how pretty I was and asking if I was married and minus how terrible I felt today. Which brings me here, to a Best Western hotel with all the conveniences from home that one could ask for - a big bed, air conditioning, real towels, privacy, quiet, a late checkout time, breakfast buffet, elevator! I felt so awful all day and thought I was dying so all I wanted was a hotel bed and sleep, so I did it. Mom said I could charge a few things and although I have been reluctant to use their money for my trip, I felt as if this was something she would want for me, a good night's rest so I wasn't sick anymore. Thanks, Mom and Dad, love you guys! :)
America's Next Top Model, France edition maybe??


My favorite movie!



Tonight marks the fifth night in Paris, and I am glad to be leaving. I'm not sure if I look like a rediculous foreigner or if staring here is the norm, but I have been getting stare after stare from all kinds of people, blatant, long, direct stares. that continue even after I stare back. The French are very anti english, so much so that there is a society of the keepers of the French language to prevent english from creeping in. For example, they started to say le weekend, so the "immortals" immediately made a word for it, and people started saying le computer, so they made a new word for that too. They're called the immortals because you get the job for life and can only get one to you by someone retiring. I imagine them wearing long cloaks and hoods and being similar to the secret societies of the DaVinci Code or National Treasure.

Its funny the things you start to miss from home. Its been a month exactly and along with the comfort and cleanliness of home, I miss free water, the abundance of public restrooms, privacy, and Mom's food. Patrick misses ice, haha. Because Europe doesn't serve ice in their drinks, and their drinks are usually only mildly cold. And I miss free refills!! I tried to ease my homesickness by going to Chinatown. Its big enough that its on the map and listed in both of our guide books. We get there but you wouldn't have known it because it wasn't very obvious. There were just scattered asian stores and restaurants on four streets, definitely not what I consider a chinatown. But nevertheless, I got a don tot, chinese egg custard, from a pastry shop and four cans of Kirin for 1.25 each. But then someone stole our beer from the fridge in the hostel :( Our fault for leaving them there and making it too easy.

Tomorrow we will definitely be making it to Brussels. I hear there's the Godiva factory there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment