Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home of the Little Mermaid

The cheapest food in all of the countries we've visited has been the same - kebabs or asian food. And I can't remember the last meal that didn't consist of one of those. Kebabs are like gyros or schwarma pita sandwiches and asian is normally rice with chicken, vegetables, and sweet and sour sauce. Yum yum.

We made our journey from Amsterdam to Copenhagen on an overnight train, but unlike our luxurious private room train ride from Barcelona to Bern, we went the cheaper route, and did a six person couchette. Our room was six beds and thats it, and only had enough room for one person to be standing in it at once. The beds were hard, and the room was hot, but it was better than a chair. Our route went through the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark, so on three separate occasions in the middle of the night, the train stopped, and police officers came through asking for passports. I've had better sleep than what I got last night...

I've been on a quest to find a danish, but I found awesome cookies instead. Hopefully, I will get a danish for tomorrow's breakfast before we leave for Berlin. We did a self guided walking tour that was suggested on one of our city maps. Got to see palaces, canals, yachts and sailboats, and Copenhagen's pride and joy, the statue of Hans Christen Andersen's little mermaid- oh wait, just kidding. She was on "holiday" in Shanghai for the 2010 World Expo. So in her place in the harbour, stood a 10 ft tv screen showing live, streaming video of the statue on display in China. The tv was probably cooler than the actual statue. Then we made our way to the King's garden, a huge city park. Europeans loooove their parks. It's great. Hundreds and hundreds of people congregate there for lunch or after school, just sleeping or reading or hanging out.

So the currency here is the krone, or dkk, and its about 6 dkk to the dollar. So we get to the atm and each take out 500 dkk, and out comes one crisp 500 dkk bill. Doesn't feel like much, and kind of makes you feel like a jackass when you buy a 15 dkk cookie with a 500 dkk bill... Just sayin

And if you have free time, read Chelsea Handler's books. So funny. I'm currently on the second one and its been a bit of a quest to find them here, but totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment